[Banard 2P Sofa]
Size: W70 x D41 x H35 x SH20 (cm)
Furniture featuring beautiful shapes with soft flowing armrests. Based on the design and philosophy of Scandinavia, we make furniture that offers relaxation. This piece is designed to add resiliency to both the cushion and wooden frame, as well as comfort when sitting. Replaceable covering and parts enable long years of use. Sofas will begin to have an antique feel as the years pass.
- Question 1Please describe your company and what makes your furniture special.
- We aim to create furniture that will be used for a long time, that is handed down for generations and that becomes antique in 100 years. We make furniture using old fashioned methods, hoping that users will enjoy the changing texture and color to amber over time. I design and make furniture myself, considering not only the visual aspects but also durability and comfort.
- Question 2What was your honest thought when first asked to make “Cat Furniture”?
- “Furniture for cats?” was my first thought. I knew cats were popular, but furniture for cats… I’d never made miniature furniture. But then I thought I was given a great opportunity to try something new. I always try to accept orders, however new they are. I think I should welcome challenges. Basically, the process is the same as making regular furniture, so I drew up a design, as usual, and created it using measuring rod.
*Measuring rod: Lengths of each parts for furniture are put on one rod.
This rod is used as a substitute for drawing.
- Question 3What are you committed to when making cat furniture?
- I design furniture referring to furniture from old Scandinavia. When adjusting for cats, simply miniaturizing will reduce durability. So, I made detailed adjustments with size reduction, while at the same time, maintaining a beautiful appearance. I wrapped sandpaper around a stick to use in places like the curve of the armrest, where I cannot use a machine. The appearance of furniture changes with details like edges, which are not visible in design drawing. It was a sense that I accumulated through furniture making that enabled me to make cat furniture.
- Question 4What is your view of the future?
- I would like many people to know about and use Okawa furniture. My dream is to have people come from overseas to purchase our furniture. Furniture stores are not a place one visits so many times over their lifetime. That is why I listen carefully to the comments and desire of customers so that I can offer furniture that they will fall in love with at a sight.
800 Kobo-sumiyoshi, Okawa City, Fukuoka Prefecture