Okawa furniture artisan
After graduating from junior high school, he apprenticed at a furnituremaker in Okawa City for four years. Thereafter, he stayed for one year to provide free service. Then he worked at three different woodworking shops.
He became independent at the age of 27 and started making custom-order and folk furniture. From about the time he turned 40, he began making creative furniture.
He has outstanding skill in furniture making without using nails. His furniture making is highly appraised as pieces made by an artisan who understands the true nature of wood.
2011 Acknowledged as “Master in Okawa”
- What kind of products are you making?
- Creative furniture
- How did you come to this occupation?
- I lost my father who was a construction worker, when I was 10 years old. I wanted to use my father’s tools (smoother, chisel).
- What are you particular about in your work?
- Making furniture that can be used for 100 to 200 years.
- What is the good thing about your job?
- Meeting people
- What is your dream?
- I want to make artistic furniture.
|Name of company||Furniture studio Nishida|
|Location||457-1 Mitsumaru, Okawa-shi, Fukuoka 831-0026|