Rush product making
|1950||Had been creating both Japanese umbrellas and rush products, but started business to specialize in rush products|
|1994||Assumes the position of president of the company|
Though graduating with civil engineering degree, he was brought into this field by his wife’s passion. He is now deeply involved in the field.
- What kind of products are you making?
- I make interior items made with domestic-grown rush. Domestic rush is robust and beautiful.
- How did you come to this occupation?
- I happen to help with my wife’s family business, and my eyes opened to Japanese culture, and involvement of nature and life, which brought me into this field.
- What are you particular about in your work?
- First of all, I think it’s important for man to live in nature. If we are surrounded by inorganic matter, we will lose our balance. I also think that design is important. People will not use our product unless it’s beautiful. Developing products with new uses is also a part of designing.
- What is the good thing about your job?
- People may think rush products are old-fashioned. I am happy when our proposed products are received by the younger generation as something new in their lifestyle.
- What is your dream?
- I do not intent to expand my business, but I’d be happy to work with people around the world to build understanding through the valuing of nature.
|Name of company||Soejima Isao Shoten Co., Ltd.|
|Location||23-1 Nakakimuro, Okawa-shi 831-0014|